- Is conquest the only method toward building an empire?
- What administrative methods did the Persians use to govern such a large and culturally diverse empire?
- How do the gender roles in Persia resemble (or differ from) the empires we have already studied?
Friday, September 30, 2016
Based on your reading and the videos, take bulleted notes on the following. While you can provide some general ideas, be sure that your notes focus specifically on Persia.
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Monday, September 26, 2016
Upon completion of the reading (and re-watching of the video if necessary), take bulleted notes on the following. Along with Jainism and Buddhism, use your previous knowledge on Chinese philosophy and Hinduism to develop your answers.
- What are the personal, social, and political functions of religion?
- In what ways are the origins and tenets of the various Classical philosophies similar and different?
Thursday, September 22, 2016
Based on the reading and video, take bulleted notes on the following:
- Why did Hinduism rise when it did? Who was most attracted to Hinudism?
- What are the ancient roots of the caste system?
- What is the connection between the caste system and Hinduism?
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Based on your understanding of the text, take bulleted notes on the following questions:
- What are the characteristics and core teachings of Confucianism?
- What are the characteristics and core teachings of Daoism?
- How does Legalism differ from Confucianism and Daoism and how was it a response to the problems from the Zhou Dynasty?
- Why didn’t Legalism last as long as Confucianism and Daoism?
Sunday, September 18, 2016
Based on the reading and your understanding of the video, take bulleted notes on the following questions:
- How did religions help strengthen political, economic, and cultural ties within societies?
- How did religions promote a sense of unity?