- How and why Mao Zedong limited democracy in his economic and political reforms.
- How Deng Xiaoping modified Mao's policies, and its effects on democratic activism.
- Why Indira Gandhi struggled with maintaining democracy as the Indian Prime Minister.
- How and why Islamism emerged in the Middle East.
- Continued problems in post-colonial sub-Saharan Africa and the attempts to address them.
- The different political structures in Mexico and Argentina during the Cold War (e.g. single-party states vs. a democratic process.)
- The continued legacy of colonialism and imperialistic influence in Latin America (e.g. the Dependency Theory).
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Based on your understanding of the reading, take bulleted notes on the following: